Monday, September 6, 2010

Autumn

"Nostalgia~that's the autumn,
Dreaming through September
Just a million lovely things
I always will remember."

Jacquiline Bouvier (Kennedy) 1943

So this morning Grant asks me to go on a bike ride with him.
My mind reels off silent excuses. I haven't ridden a bike in a decade. I have 6 loads of laundry to do, plus sheets. School starts tomorrow, last minute planning looms. I don't have a bike that's ride-able. I am wearing a dress.
So, of course, I say yes.
I hopped on Avonlea's bike scorned the offered helmet (I had my hair up) and we took off. The wind blew across our faces as we pumped our legs side by side and I felt this unbelievable sense of camaraderie with my son. As we criss-crossed in the parking lot I threw both hands up high! I got the attention I was hoping for, "Mom I can't believe you can do that!"
It takes the autumn's nostalgia to remind me that life is more than laundry. To remind me that one autumn, long ago, on the day before school started, I pedaled down Alaskan roads. The wind in my face was colder but the euphoria was the same. And where I was lacking a comrade then, I now have a really cute boy by my side.
I am so thankful to be able to embrace another autumn.
God is so kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...