Sunday, July 15, 2012

Real Life

I pulled myself through the week of VBC like a parched animal dragging itself to water.

June was a month where I exceeded my capacity for basically everything.

So as soon as I could, I went away.

I sat in the shadow of a mountain for 16 days. Four of the days I was utterly alone, as Dave took the kids over to LaPine to be with his parents. I haven't been alone for four days since before I had children. Avonlea is 12.

I obeyed the Psalm which says, "Be still and know that I am God."

Be Still.

The days that I was alone were windy. I went on walks where the wind whipped my hair and clothes, took the breath from my mouth and seemed to blow right through me. My lungs were full of it.  My lungs, so contracted and raspy weeks ago, were dancing and spinning and expanding in the wind. My heart delighted in the wild freedom of it.

Avonlea

My Wild Rose

Laughter.


Poppies!







When the kids came they ran down to the creek. Every day, in the hot sun, they ran to the water. I marveled at how natural it was to them. They instinctively knew that when you are over heated, you cool off with running water.

They ran down the path and into the creek without stopping, without consideration.
They plunged and it inspired me to do the same.
Parched animal indeed!
I was still and I was soaked.
When we crawl to Jesus for a drink, he gives us the music of a forest stream laughing down shining rocks. He gives us cold water, brisk from the mountain. He gives us the wind of His Spirit which blows clean through and airs the soul like a well ventilated house. Cobwebs disappear along with asthmatic tendencies.

"Seek me and live." (Amos 5:4)

Sometimes seeking is just being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...