Monday, June 25, 2018

Trusty, dusky, vivid, true

She was 6 at her first piano recital.


I sat in our church sanctuary with my family and watched her pound out her simple song and I had absolutely no idea that I had just buckled my seat belt for a journey.
12 years later I am sitting in the same sanctuary listening again to her play.


There are differences. It's not a simple song and she doesn't pound. My dad is no longer sitting with us. Avonlea is taller and sweeter. The journey that I didn't know I started is coming to an end and there is an element of shock, as if a sudden stop informed me of how fast I had been traveling.

Avonlea leaves for Bible College in New Zealand in 2 weeks.

I will miss more things than I can chronicle, but near the top of the list is her music.

I can remember when we told her she could take harp lessons. She didn't gush but she came into the kitchen later and said, "I'm not saying much because my heart is in my throat." That's Avonlea's chronic state. The spoken word that solidifies her heart is difficult for her to express. Her fingers take the place of her vocal chords. She plays her heart on the piano and harp. It's always sweet and lovely and often playful. When I'm hurting or upset, her music is a hug and calm words. When I'm grumpy her music is cheerful and I can't help but caper. Her music draws cats onto her lap and people into the room.

Like Avonlea, her music has just always been there. Always, an important part of my life, my day.
My mother reminds me I'm building a legacy.
My pastor reminds us that we're building a cathedral, not just a square stone.
My mind reminds me that I gave Avonlea to God long ago and that this next step is natural and healthy.
But my heart doesn't acknowledge any of these things!
My heart just loves her and wants her near!!!


Last year when I was planting my rose garden, Dave brought home a rose for Avonlea. It is called the New Zealand Rose. It has more blooms than any of my other roses. The scent of it is amazing. Somehow, the rose bush is comforting me right now. I am allowing her to bloom somewhere else. Other people will be given the scent of her laughter and music and Avonlea-ness. I know she will bring joy and healing and wisdom to those she meets because she loves Jesus and follows Him with all her heart.



I know she will have adventures that she will bring home to our dinner table to make us laugh.
I anticipate the delight she will experience learning more about God's Word.
I want to see her bloom full and lush and velvety.
Even in the hurt of letting her go, gratefulness is greater.
I thank God for a daughter that loves Him.
I thank God for Avonlea.
These have been very precious years.

Avonlea and Grant June 2018 recital

2 comments:

  1. You capture the state of the heart so beautifully. I am thankful you share your journey here. Now you have me curious about the New Zealand Rose as well. While our two daughters are in their late twenties and early thirties and have flown far and wide from their birth home and have come to rest in their adult homes with husbands, jobs, activities and communities (no grand kids yet)we now find ourselves at the age of retirement and are now going to live on the East Coast for a year (by April 2019) to be near the oldest who is single. We'll experience life in her lane for awhile (in our own house)and welcome the adventure. Keep sharing your journey and your prose! It is always lovely and a sweetness to the soul to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, thank you for reminding me that there is adventure in this transition as well as pain!
      What a great opportunity to live by your daughter for a time! May God bless you!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...