Saturday, October 6, 2018

Motivation

I hear things when I wake in the night.
Sometimes it's the ice maker.
Sometimes it's a little foster girl yelling, "I have to go to the bathroom!"
Sometimes it's the refrigerator's hum.
Sometimes it's the howl of a coyote.

When Avonlea ran back out of the security line at the airport and gave us one last impulsive kiss I heard something. It was as if I woke up into silence and heard a clock ticking. Her curly head disappeared into a mass of people and I realized afresh my time with these children, this husband, on this planet, was finite. Like the ice maker and the fridge, I can hear the ticking now in the noise, because I first heard it in the quiet. Because this realization came fresh and loud into my sadness it made a deep impression and caused me to do things like swim and play volleyball. Meaning, the things I didn't want to do with my children, I now try to do when they ask, because the clock is ticking.

We sold the cottage and Grant bought a car and Rowan turned 13 and is plotting new adventures. Rose has Nutcracker rehearsals and school has to be done and animals fed and groceries bought. And under all these big kid things is the same force that held us all together when they were little kids.

Love.

And love is exhausting. Love is a constant pouring out and refilling and sometimes running dry. Love is grieving and rejoicing in growth all at the same time. Love is the muscle that stretches long and the muscle that flexes. Love motivates us to clean the bathrooms and snuggle on the coach and invite people into our home.

That's what the ticking tells me, in the quiet and in the noise, that the foundation of all of this is love. If I don't get the love part right, I'm in big trouble. And so are they. So I seek to love Jesus more because His love enables me to love them, even in exhaustion. I try to form loving habits that kick in when emotions kick back. I flail and flounder and my love is more like a glaze than true frosting but I keep on loving because that clock is a type of tinnitus that keeps me going and keeps me true to God and those He's entrusted to me.

I've been a mom for 18 years. I still have 3 children and a husband in my home who require a lot of love. There are nights I fall into bed so exhausted emotionally that I can't sleep. So I listen. I hear the house sounds emboldened in the silence, I hear the ticking which urges me to pray, and I hear the words of God, "Love is patient, love is kind......love never fails." (I Cor 13) And His love never will.

His love is the foundation that everything is built on.
His love is the ultimate motivation.

Pa Jim helped Grant find his car!

Going to a dance together! 

On top of Mt Adams! 12,300 feet




2 comments:

  1. Yes! Love says yes. Over and over and over. Love says yes to selling our home we love, in a town we love, but no longer have our girls to love on here so that we can love our aging parents well where they live and follow our adult kids to where they live, to love on them too. Connecticut (goodbye California) for a year starting in April then back to where I grew up, fell in love, got married, had our first child and we moved away. But love says yes to parents in need. And miraculously there is a job opening in our son-in-law's field in that little town and he is applying for it to be closer to his wife's family and his own, but they are further away still. Back to California where they never thought they'd return to. Oh the wonders of Yes!

    Keep posting please. It is always a must read when your post lands in my mailbox. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, so good, my lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...