Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Roses in Green Pastures

As we drove away from the church on Sunday, I asked Rose a simple question. "How was Sunday School Posy?" She replied with an answer that gave me an instant headache. "Okay. I didn't hit anyone." Pause. "I shoulda hit someone." So she reigned herself in, and this is progress. A few weeks ago, on her way to a friend's house, I told her to behave herself and be polite. She replied, "I know mama. I won't bite or hit or slap or pinch or scream or call her fat." Sigh.
And this is my Rose. You lean close anticipating a sweet fragrance, and you get it, just not before a thorn or two are lodged in your epidermis.
(birthday morning hugs)

When Dave and I were dating he asked me what my favorite age of child was. I answered without hesitation, "three." I love the age three. I love the big eyed wonder and whimsy, the creativity, the hilarious misuse of words. Today my last three year old turns four. (Emphasis mine, all mine). I know that the days of her beating up her peers are limited. I know that her lisp will probably fade ("Yeth mom." "Thure!"). I know that she won't be panting in my face after every single jelly bean so that I can guess the flavor, for much longer. And I will miss it dearly.


She awoke this morning to sibling joy and singing which produced punches in the air by little fists with blue fingernails.
This morning at her birthday breakfast I randomly opened to Psalm 23. It struck a chord and for a moment I could only stare at the page. My dad died on June 23 and I had read that Psalm the morning he left and didn't come home. "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." Somehow in the grief of the month following his death, I got pregnant with Rose. "You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows..."
Today I thank God for the precious beautiful daughter He gave me amidst my heartache. I thank Him for the fragrance of Christ she has brought to our lives. I thank Him that His promises to me have been Yes and Amen in Christ and that beauty has come from ashes.

I thank God for Rose....

After all, what's a thorn or two in the epidermis?



"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...