Monday, June 27, 2011

Church in the Woods


This summer we felt God calling us to do something different.
We agreed that as soon as nice weather hit, we would have church outside. Alone.
This, for me, was unconventional. Risky.
Will my children turn out normal if they miss several months of Sunday School?

So we hit the trail.
A 1.25 mile hike to a waterfall.
We found a cozy nook and opened God's Word.
Proverbs 4: 10-12
"Listen, my son, accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.
I guide you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.
When you walk, your steps will not
be hampered;
when you run you will not stumble."
My husband shared the reality of truth, that this life is a journey, a path.
Many trails wander off it temptingly, many dangerous plants look lovely, it is easy to get lost.
Every week a different aspect of this truth.
Every week a different power point presentation of God's beauty, in His cathedral.

We spent time in prayer.
Lifting up our children earnestly to their loving Father, laying our friends, family, at His feet.
This is our family. Defined and isolated for a brief moment.
This is the job of a family, and the joy of a family.
Three hours later, we emerged from the ferns.
Refreshed and victorious and laughing.
Acts 2:28
"You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence."
We are unconventional for a season.
We are obedient for a life time.
Today I hear Rowan speak an unkind word in the other room.
Before I can reprimand, Grant's voice instructs, "Rowan, you're wandering off the path. Be careful or you'll get lost."
Will my children turn out normal if they miss several months of Sunday School?
Possibly not, but then, normal was never the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...