Saturday, February 28, 2015

These Boots Were Made For....

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
Romans 10: 14-15

When Avonlea left for 2 months with Teen Missions last summer she had on new boots. Those boots endured a 2 1/2 week boot camp in Florida and then 6 weeks of hiking, street evangelism, and drama presentations in Italy and Greece.

When I was frantically packing for our Haiti trip earlier this month (approximately two hours before we had to be at the airport) I realized all I had for foot gear were Nikes. Really cute Nikes with hot pink laces. Could I Haitify them? Not in good conscience. Avonlea saved the day by bringing out her Teen Mission boots. They fit. Mostly.

The boots in Haiti

When I was asked several months ago if I would be interested in going to Haiti, I said "no". Immediately. I don't even like to go camping. But after my "no" the Spirit began to whisper "yes". He also whispered some hard questions, such as, "Will you go when I send you regardless of...." Fill in the blank with all my legitimate arguments.

After much prayer and thought I decided to go, and I was scared stiff, but I learned something. My daughter was brave. She stepped out in her new boots into unknown situations and experiences. She obeyed, even though she is an introvert and loves to be home with her family; she went. And God provided what she needed to obey. I learned that I could trust Him to provide what I needed to obey, too.

This summer Grant is going to Trinidad. He will probably be wearing these same boots. He will have the same fears and insecurities that I had, that Avonlea had, but he will obey his God regardless. And it's not about the boots (although I love the symbolism) and it's not about the feet in the boots necessarily. It's about a good God, who loves this world, sends His people to proclaim His love, and equips them to do it by His Spirit.

Our team at the construction sight of the home

One of the girls in the family we were building the house for. She is holding her doll.

You can kinda see my nose.


Crying over the beauty of these children.

The house we were building right next to those blue cans.

This year, God has asked me to let my children go serve Him,and to go myself. Both of these things were terrifying for me.
But let me testify to the faithfulness of God
in both these situations
and the blessing that comes through obedience.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...