Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Sacred State

In the sacred state between sleep and consciousness, reality hones.
The essential moments come into sharp focus and the unessential moments become nothing, a mist that clears in a moment.
This is what I see/hear in the sacred state..
Grant's voice singing to himself, over and over, "I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sin upon that cross....I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sin upon that cross. I'll never know..."
A coyote still and watchful poised by the roadside illuminated by the moon.
Rosy's screams over finding a lady-bug. "Ahhhhhh, but I like it! Ahhhhhh, but I like it!"
Me, laying down laughing at her. Joy echoing through the house.
My husband giving the neighbors a bag of M & Ms from Costco because he loves.
Avonlea at the piano singing Phantom of the Opera.
Listening to my friend on the phone, feeling with her words, loving her dearly.
Rowan's eyes squinting into little slits of laughter, proclaiming his heritage of joy.
My drive home in the dark, crying over God's love for us. Thanking Him for what I can never earn or deserve.
These realities are what's left of 24 hours spent. The interest on the deposit.
What's left when the laundry shrinks, and the dishes chip, and water evaporates.
What's eternal,
real,
sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...